Monday, July 4, 2011

My Struggles with Patriotism...

I have to admit I struggle with the 4th of July and Patriotism.  It is not that I have issues with the military or government specifically.  I truly appreciate the freedom that I experience everyday, including the freedom to write this article. I support all those who have, do, and will fight for our freedoms.  I celebrate the freedom that the United States of America presents for its citizens and visitors.  I guess for me, as a Christian, I struggle with Patriotism, because I see it overtakes our praises for God. I worry when we become so Patriotic that we forget about God, or have posed God as an American.

I struggle when I see the American flag in a sanctuary.
I struggle when we sing "America the beautiful" or "God bless America" as a church, or when it is in a hymnal.
I struggle when people think being American is being Christian, and when being Christian is being an American.
I struggle when I see so many people willing to live out what it means to be an American, but not what it means to be a Christian.

For me, my loyalty lies with God and God's Kingdom.  I celebrate the true freedom I have in Christ.  I celebrate that all life comes from God.  I celebrate that God and God's Kingdom were here way before the USA and will be here way after.  I celebrate today my patriotism to God!

I thank God for those who have sacrificed for others, out of love.
I thank God for those who have stood up for freedom, out of love.
I thank God for those who have said that All are Created Equal, out of love.
In the end, I thank God that selfless love redeems.
All praise and glory to God, now and forever. Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment